Tuesday 4 February 2014

Daft Punk

Just got done listening to their latest album, Random Access Memories, for the first time. Have mixed feelings about this one. For one, it is very un-Daft Punk-like. They wanted to explore something new, I guess, which is all well and good. But the result is such a mixed bag. Parts of it were really good, and some were alright, but others were just too cheesy. And not cheesy in a good way like some of their older music is. I'm all for retro sounding, cheesy music as long as there's also some aspect to it that takes the music forward, but I found none of that here. The cheesiness was so bad, especially in a couple of songs with very earnest sounding lyrics, I almost couldn't listen anymore.

The odd thing is this record is obviously meant to be listened to as a whole, but I don't think I will ever listen to it all the way through again. The stand out tracks for me were:

Give Life Back to Music - Recognizably Daft Punk sounding track but with live instrumentation as opposed to samples. Pretty fun and groovy overall.

Giorgio by Moroder - Absolutely loved this - highlight of the album for me for sure.

Get Lucky - It has single written all over it. Chill and danceable with a catchy hook.

Doin' It Right - Nice collab that takes the best of both worlds and makes an enjoyable whole. Panda Bear's very distinctive vocal style really works here. And speaking of Panda Bear, I highly recommend checking out his album Person Pitch, if you haven't already. One of my all time favourite chill out albums.

Contact - Most old school anthemic track on the album. Perfect closer.

No comments:

Post a Comment