Monday 24 February 2014

Disintegration Loops

Not really in any state to write much today. But I don't want to break my streak either. So a quick note and some music for today.

My mind was very restless earlier today (as it has been for the past couple of days), which when combined with a weak body that essentially left me bedridden for most of the day, was a very frustrating experience. Was trying to occupy myself by reading random things on the internet but that didn't really help. Finally I hit upon something that did - William Basinski's Disintegration Loops.

It is an ambient work that was created when Basinski was trying to transfer some old tape loops to digital and realised that they were disintegrating in the process (hence the name). Soon after he completed the project, the 9/11 attacks happened and he recorded a video of it from his rooftop and set the first of the loops as its soundtrack. So one gets to see the destruction of the twin towers juxtaposed with the slow physical destruction of the tape loops and it is mesmerising. An ode to the eventual fate of all things.




No comments:

Post a Comment