Sunday 16 February 2014

Her

Saw this movie today and it affected me deeply. I wanted to write about it right away but I wasn't sure I could put what I felt into words and wanted to let it simmer in my head for a bit. Now, 5 hours later, I'm still not sure I can do it justice but I don't think waiting 5 days or even 5 weeks will change that.

Her is a movie about a man (Theodore) who falls in love with a sentient operating system (Samantha). It is also a movie about relationships, about loneliness, about connection, and about being, really. A lot of it hit very close to home and maybe that's why I love it so much. That's probably also why I find it hard to write about.

But I think, even if one can't totally relate to it, there will be something in this movie that touches a cord in everyone. Its themes are universal and the excellent screenplay together with the brilliant performances of Joaquin Phoenix and Scarlett Johansson make it all but impossible not to fall for this movie as hard as Theodore does for Samantha.

And speaking of those performances - god damn Scarlett is an enchantress for creating a character you can almost touch and feel with just her voice. Joaquin is no less to be applauded for his extremely vulnerable and real portrayal. For the majority of the film's little over 2 hours running time, he is the only person on screen, and never once did my connect with his character falter. Major props also to Spike Jones for writing these characters and making this story come alive.

I really can't wait to watch it again. Might even go back as soon as tomorrow (who knows how much longer it will play and I don't want to have to wait for the DVD release). As Theodore's friend Amy says in the film (a line that basically defines my philosophy in life such as it is) - "We're only here briefly, and while I'm here I want to allow myself joy. So Fuck it." And this film is a joyous experience, despite the sadness inherent in it. Or maybe because of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment