Thursday 20 February 2014

Hamlet

Somehow I never read Hamlet in its entirety. I tried once when I was in school but the language was way too difficult. So I gave up and picked up an easier book that basically described the plots of famous Shakespeare plays instead. Thus I know the story of Hamlet and Romeo & Juliet and a bunch of others without having actually read the original works. I think I did eventually manage to read at least one Shakespeare play all the way through, but for the life of me I can't remember which one it was.

Anyway, I've decided it is about time to rectify this gross oversight and got a copy of Hamlet for my kindle. The reason for choosing Hamlet first is, of course, because I want to finish it before Haider comes out. I know the movie isn't set to be released for another 8 months but I wanted to play it safe. Which, as it turns out, was a good call because I started reading two nights ago and finally managed to finish Act 1, Scene 1 only last night. I would've finished it in one night but for that long speech of Horatio's. Halfway through it my eyes glazed over and I couldn't read another word.

But I shall trudge on. After all when I read my first Sherlock Holmes book, I was just as baffled by the language and had to refer to a dictionary every sentence pretty much. And yet within the next year I had devoured every single book Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote. So too shall I conquer the mighty bard!

There will be no not to be in this case. But here's a video on To Be or Not to Be, the movie, an old favorite of mine:

No comments:

Post a Comment