Tuesday 11 February 2014

Un Pixie Andalou

Thinking about seeing the Pixies tomorrow and it reminded me of the last time I saw them live. It was their Dolittle 20th anniversary tour and they played that classic album in its entirety. But before beginning their set, they screened Un Chien Andalou, the Luis Buñuel and Salvador Dalí surrealist short film. I had heard of the film before but had never actually seen it. It was quite a trip. Like watching a dream, except none of my dreams are quite so outré. The image that stuck with me the most is the iconic scene where an eyeball being sliced is intercut with a cloud passing across the moon.

At the end of the film, the Pixies started playing tracks from Dolittle but not in the album order. Debaser, the opening track from Dolittle whose lyrics are based on Un Chien Andalou, came somewhere in the middle that night. Here it is now in a fan video edited with scenes from the film itself:



Btw, the new Pixies EPs are pretty good. Not groundbreaking but decent. I prefer EP1 over EP2. Can't say how they compare to old Pixies though since I've actually not listened to them much aside from Dolittle. Only went to see them last time because Fuck Buttons were opening the show.

No comments:

Post a Comment